Thursday

Bathing suit issues at 8 years old?

I read this post this morning and I just wanted to share...


This reminded me of something that happened just the other day with my daughter, which I'm still ill about.

I bought her a super cute new bathing suit - a tankini - and the tank is just slightly short so it shows an inch or two of her belly. I told her it was supposed to be like that, but she felt a little uncomfortable, so she went to go check it out in the mirror.

For the next 20 minutes she told me over and over how she liked the bathing suit, but she just "didn't think it looked good on her". I was heartbroken. My daughter is really pretty skinny, enough so that I buy slim sizes sometimes, but I realize that - fat, skinny, tall, short, whatever - most girls end up having body image issues. I once had a friend that used to be jealous of my calves, cause hers were so skinny and mine were "muscular". Um, ok.

I've tried so hard to shield the poor girl from these issues, even to the point where I tell my family that they're not allowed to say to my daughter "look at you, you're so skinny". I pretty much burn a hole through their brain with my eyes when they do so. I never say that I think I'm fat in front of the kids, I never ask how they think something looks on me, etc., etc.

So what's the culprit? I'm guessing iCarly and Wizards of Waverly Place? Cause that's about all she watches, unless Spongebob thinks he has a big butt. The thought of my daughter growing up feeling as self conscious as I have been, or even worse, is frightening. I'm wondering how other moms thwart these issues when they arise, is it even possible?


ps - this is the bathing suit top - from Old Navy - adorable, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment