Tuesday

Mother's Day Blues

I hate to admit, but I'm one of those people that really does not like Mother's Day.

I know, I know - being a mom, having a mom, all that, I should
probably appreciate it more. But wait, since I'm a mom, isn't it about appreciating me?

No, it's totally NOT!

But that is what I thought it would be about from the get go, when I became a mother. And I am definitely one of those people that needs to have expectations managed. But how can you when it comes to Mother's Day? I mean, after Valentine's Day it's already mainstream in commercials, promotions, and advertising. Pictures of moms - happy as can be - all enjoying the day, with gifts, roses, fantastic meals, the works! What's not to get excited about?!

It wasn't always like that, of course. Mother's Day was always about my mom and my grandmother. And I loved it, I used to make cards for my mom out of doilies, pick flowers from the field, all that. Then there were times we went to brunch with my extended family and celebrated with my grandmother. Any of my peeps from RI know what I'm talking about when I say "Wright's Chicken Farm". You know - one of those banquet style places where they cram people in, and on days like Mother's Day you can't even move - everyone must have one of those around. All good family fun - and stuff.

So it must be a generational thing, right? The eldest gets the respect. You put in the time, you get the reward. That makes sense.

Hold it! But I'm the one that's working my butt off doing the mothering right now! Raising 3 small children - a single mom no less - exhausted every day. Working, cleaning, cooking, gymnastics, homework, bedtimes, etc., etc. I could use the pampering, for sure.

But then my daughter said something to me last week, when we were talking about going to see my mom for Mother's Day - she wanted to know what time we were coming home. She wanted me to make a list off all the things I wanted to do when we got back. She told me that she wanted to make the day perfect for me, and she promised that she and her brothers would be really good for me the whole day - no fighting, she would get me everything I needed. She said I could sit on the couch, or whatever, and they would do it all.

Really?

(Tears)

So, the last 8 years of being a mother I thought that Mother's Day was about being a mom, feeling like it's my day. Doing special things and maybe getting flowers.

It's not.

It's about feeling love and appreciation from your kids.

Having people tell you that they appreciate all you do is great, but having your kids make you feel like you mean the world to them, that you are truly as important a person as "mom" can be, makes every day feel like Mother's Day.

Thank you to my babies for loving me so much.

Thank you, mom, for being the best mom you could be - always. And even more for being the best Gaggi you can be.

So, this year I'm going to try to change my attitude about Mother's Day. I'm trying my best to throw expectations out the window (you think I would learn after 8 years)! And I'd love to know how you feel about Mother's Day...

What are your expectations? Do you love the day or hate it? Do you get dragged around doing what everyone else wants or do you take the day for yourself? I'd love to hear what other moms (and dads!) think of this ever-so-sacred day in May!...